Call for Applications Young Amateur Artists
As part of its Promoting Shared Values, Shared Spaces and Dispute Resolution in Sri Lanka, The Asia Foundation (the Foundation) is calling for applications from young amateur artists based in Ampara, Kalutara, Kurunegala, Mannar, Trincomalee and Vavuniya to transform life stories collected from elders, into art. The purpose of this is to connect the younger generation with elders who will share key life lessons.
Candidates applying for the role of young amateur artist will be shortlisted by a panel that includes members of the Theertha International Artists’ Collective. Selected amateur artists will be invited to attend workshops where they will be trained on storytelling through the arts. The workshops will be conducted by regional professional artists who have themselves been trained on this topic. Through these workshops, the amateur artists will be expected to develop original pieces of art based on the life stories of elders provided by the Foundation.
Who can apply?
- Male and female amateur artists in the fields of Visual Art (including photography and short films), Performing Arts (including theatre, dance, music and poetry) and New Media (including graphic and animation story telling)
- Aged between 18 and 35
- Applicants should reside in one of the following districts: Ampara, Kalutara, Kurunegala, Mannar, Trincomalee, or Vavuniya
Terms and Conditions
When submitting their application, interested candidates should agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Selected artists are required to sign a statement of commitment to confirm their participation in all workshops and exhibitions conducted as part of this project.
- Selected artists are required to develop original pieces of art based on the life stories of elders provided by The Asia Foundation.
- The Asia Foundation takes no responsibility for the infringement of copyrighted material.
- Artwork developed for the project shall not be exhibited anywhere else prior to the regional exhibitions organized by The Asia Foundation.
- An artist may submit up to five pieces of art. However, exhibition of all submitted pieces of art would depend on the availability of space at the exhibition venue.
- By participating in the workshops and exhibitions conducted under this project, artists grant permission for The Asia Foundation to use chosen artwork and images of chosen artwork for display and promotional purposes on the Foundation’s publication materials including, but not limited to, websites, social media platforms and reports. This will be done with due recognition and credit to the artists.
- In keeping with The Asia Foundation’s Child Protection Policy, for any photographs/videos featuring children under the age of 18, the artist must have written consent from the parents/guardian of the child.
Professional artists interested in applying for this project are requested to fill in the annexed application form and send it by October 30, 2020 via email to email@example.com or via post to:
Theertha International Artists Collective,
Theertha Red Dot Gallery
39/4 A D.S Senanayake Road, Colombo 08
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org